Not Before My Coffee: Funny and Unforgettable Conference Moments
By
DiAnn Mills
Writing
conferences are designed to be a time of networking, learning the craft, and
finding inspiration. Yet I’ve walked away laughing at what happened. Here are a
few of my “Expect an Adventure” moments.
Story 1: Ladies Restroom
At a writing
conference, I visited the ladies’ room. Once inside a latched stall, a woman
shoved a piece of toilet tissue under my door with the message: I was told
you could get me published. I exploded into laughter.
“When can we
meet?” a faceless woman said.
When I finally
stopped laughing, I told her to check my appointment sheet in the interview
room.
I never learned
the woman’s identity.
What did I learn
from the ladies’ room encounter? Some writers are desperate to have their work
published. Tenacity and ingenuity in the right context can work for the writer,
but not under a bathroom stall. Careful planning and a little professionalism
would have gotten this woman further.
Story 2: Coffee
Those who know me,
understand coffee is essential, especially first thing in the morning. At a
conference before teaching my first session, I placed my breakfast tray on the
cafeteria table. Easing onto the chair, I lifted the cup of dark, rich coffee
to my lips, the aroma teasing my senses, when a woman thrust her manuscript
between my mouth and the cup.
“First you must
read this. I know you will like it.”
I stared at her
(nicely), and the rest of the table roared. “Not before my coffee.”
What did I learn
from the read-before-coffee demand? Overly aggressive writers need to think
before they act. I applaud the writer’s timing; I couldn’t have strategically
placed a manuscript between a cup of coffee and a person’s mouth. But
politeness would have left a more favorable impression. Always be prepared for
the unexpected.
Story 3: Tomato
At a conference lunch where
faculty share the same table, I embarrassed myself so badly that it’s now
funny. I approached my salad with a growling tummy. A tiny grape tomato caught
my eye. I stabbed it and missed, sending the tomato into the plate of a woman
sitting across from me.
“I’m so sorry,” I said.
“You’re fine,” the woman said.
“I’m used to it. I teach a behavioral management class at a high school.”
What did I learn from
mismanaging my salad plate? Never stab a tomato unless you are sure it’s not
going to fly into the great unknown. Always be willing to laugh at myself.
Story 4: The Writer’s Brother
This last experience mixes
sadness with humor. At a conference, I had an interview appointment with a new
writer. He sat across from me and told me about his story.
“You can’t change a word of
it,” he said.
“Why?” I said. “Wouldn’t you
like another writer’s opinion?”
He shook his head. “My deceased
brother gave me the story.”
I imagined the writer taking
copious notes from his dying brother. “I’m so sorry for your loss, but I’m glad
you were able to do this project together.”
“Oh, he didn’t give me the
story until after he died.”
What did I learn from the
writer? I should always be gracious and helpful, even when the writer might
need a different kind of professional help. The unpredictable is a part of the
writer’s life.
Closing
We writers are quirky,
eccentric, and sometimes a bit bizarre. At a writer’s conference, we encounter
plot twists, unexpected characters, and divine appointments. Expect an
Adventure!
Whether you are a writer or a
reader, what is a funny moment from your conference experiences?
Photo by Katherine Marchena on Unsplash
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who invites readers to expect an adventure through heart-pounding suspense, romance, and faith-filled stories. Her novels have landed on CBA, ECPA, and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists and won numerous awards, including the Christy and Carol. A founding board member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Conference Advisor for Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers, DiAnn mentors writers nationwide. She lives in Houston, Texas, where she roasts her own coffee and spoils her grandchildren.




Comments
Post a Comment