Writer, What Does God Want You To Do?

By Andrea Merrell

In my last post, we talked about not stifling our creativity by thinking we must find our niche and stay in our lane. We looked at the endless possibilities of branching out and writing whatever God gives us and pursing what we are passionate about.

A dear lady said to me recently, “I don’t really know what God wants me to do.”

Maybe that’s a universal problem. If so, let’s address it and look at what it means for us as writers.

Exactly what does God want us to do? And how does He tell us? In dreams? Visions? Through other people? Does He guide us through His Word? Or simply drop an idea into our heart?

I believe it can be all of the above. One writer says that even when God gives a specific dream or vision, we sometimes have to go against the flow and break out of the proverbial box. We have to give ourselves permission to be obedient no matter what others might think or say.

Paul certainly went against the flow. But he knew his calling and said, “I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision” (Acts 26:19 NKJV).

So, how do we move forward on our writing journey with confident assurance? According to the Word for You Today, there are several questions we must ask ourselves:

  • What has God called me to do?
  • What is my role in it?
  • What skill set do I need to sharpen?
  • What knowledge do I need to acquire?
  • What relationships do I need to build?

People are hungry for the truth. They are starving for affirmation and direction. Desperate to fill up the God-shaped void inside. But too many are looking in all the wrong places and giving ear to the wrong voices. As writers who pen words to glorify God and point others to Him, we have our own unique voice. 

In 1839, playwright Edward Bulwer-Lytton said, "The pen is mightier than the sword." In other words, a pen can accomplish far more than a sword. And words are eternal while violence is short lived.

When Paul received a vision from the Lord, the first thing he asked was, “Lord, what do you want me to do?” (Acts 9:6 NKJV).

Our prayer for today—and every day—should be, “Lord, what do you want me to do?”

When we ask, He will answer. Then all we have to do is be obedient.

Have you asked God what He wants you to do?

 

Photo by Rhys Kentish on Unsplash

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash


Comments

  1. Wonderful post. Great guidance to ask the Lord, "What would You have me do!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Blessings and Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts