Why Write Micropoetry?

 

By Candyce Carden

 

Seagulls soaring, circling, searching,

until finally —

dinner!

 

Micropoetry is an umbrella term for various forms of short poetry. The only rule, really, is that they’re brief. Not only are micropoems quick, easy, and fun, composing them offers benefits.

 

Writing Micropoetry Slows Us Down

 

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10 ESV).

 

Micropoetry keeps us in the moment. The practice pulls us out of our electronic world and places us firmly in the real world. Looking for micropoems increases our chances to encounter God and can be expressions of praise.

 

Vivid pinks and purple

Of God’s crape myrtles

rejoice in rain-cleansed morning air

 

Writing Micropoetry Heightens Creativity

 

So God created mankind in his own image..., (Genesis 1:27 NIV).

 

Highly creative people are naturally keen observers of their surroundings. Some of us need to develop this skill. Opening our eyes, ears, nose, mouth, heart and mind to find micropoems trains us to scrutinize our settings. Finely tuned observation skills open wider windows of creativity. 

 

A beach storm brewed as I wrote this one. It won’t win a prize, but I like it:

 

Thunder growling, gray sky hovering,

 fog descending over the bay;

looks like rain will be my sunshine today

 

Writing Micropoetry is Good for Mental and Physical Health

 

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  (Psalm 118:24 HCSB)

 

When we live in the present, we’re happier and healthier. Many micropoems are captured in nature, which means we’re outside moving. Creating them lessens stress because we’re focused outward rather than inward. We aren’t worrying about tomorrow.

 

But you don’t have to take a nature walk to find them. I spotted this one looking out my window:

 

Six proud crows,

strut the street,

then cross my lawn

What’s up?

 

Writing Micropoetry Connects Us to Others

 

I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers…, (Philemon 1:4 NIV).

 

Cool April morn begs gas logs to knock away the chill;

“Wasteful,” my dad whispers from his grave.

With a smile, I light them anyway

 

As I penned this one, I lovingly recalled my dad’s frugality, how he came of age during the depression. His exasperation with me because my teenaged self never remembered to turn the lights off when I left a room. I take a moment to thank God for this man who lives on in my heart.

 

Writing Micropoetry Draws Us Closer to God

 

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father…,” James 1:17 (NIV).

 

Whatever inspires me to write a micropoem is a gift from God. When I find one, I thank Him.

Scripture tells us to “seek His face always” (1 Chronicles 16:11 NIV).  I see Jesus in micropoems, and composing them moves me in His direction.

 

 Tender blue sky,

spattered with clouds of froth;

“Rest in today, child,” they call;

“Tomorrow is hours away.”                                           

 

Invitation to Create

 

Creating micropoetry calms our mind by slowing our thoughts. They are stress-busters and joy-inducers. Enter the moment and play with a few words. Forget grammar rules and value the process.

 

 Photo by Maahid Photos on Unsplash

Photo by Max Brinton on Unsplash


TWEETABLE

Creating micropoetry calms our mind by slowing our thoughts. They are stress-busters and joy-inducers. via @CandyceDeal (Click to tweet.)

 

Candyce Carden is a writer and teacher in north Georgia. She’s worked with students from kindergarten through college and served as Director of the Children’s Learning Center for First Baptist Dalton. She’s currently writing a book of devotions set at the beach. Needless to say, the book requires lots of onsite research. The answer may not be at the beach, but should we not at least check?

 

 Candyce blogs at CandyceCarden.com. Connect with her on FacebookTwitter. and Instagram.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Loved this! What a unique way to capture the moments. I could see myself doing this. I love nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give micropoetry a try! To capture the moments means we slow our
      pace--always good medicine for our spirits. Have a blessed week!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts