8 Bible Verses that Help Me Focus My Writing Career

 by Alycia W. Morales


Have you ever chosen a bible verse to associate with your writing? Maybe it clarifies why you want to write. Or it helps you focus on what the Lord wants you to do in your writing. The verse could also serve as a reminder of your audience and their needs. There are several ways bible verses can assist you in your writing career.

The following are 8 bible verses that help me focus my writing career. I'll share how, as well.

 

1. Psalm 45:1

My heart is overflowing with a good theme;
I recite my composition to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.

This is what I would consider my life verse for writing. Stories overflow my heart. I love stories. Reading them. Writing them. Sharing them with others. Listening to others tell theirs. When I recently rebranded myself, my tagline for my writing career became "Everyone has a story. I'm here for yours." The Lord is always at the heart of my stories. He is my heart. Thus, my heart overflows with good themes.

And although I write more than I speak, I always want my pen to be ready to write what the Lord puts on my heart. Or what those pesky characters are saying and doing in my head.

2. Philippians 2:12-13

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

I have not forgotten the day I read this verse and God revealed that I needed to operate in obedience to His will, rather than my excuses. At the time, I was thinking of my writing. How He works in my to will for His good pleasure and to do for His good pleasure. God gets pleasure from our obedience to His will. Whether it's for our bodies, our families, our work, our writing. Name something in life, and ask yourself if you are truly, honestly functioning in obedience to God in that area. Because He takes pleasure in our obedience. Even in our writing obedience.

3. Isaiah 51:16

And I have put My words in your mouth;
I have covered you with the shadow of My hand,
That I may plant the heavens,
Lay the foundations of the earth,
And say to Zion, 'You are My people.'"

The first thing I think of when I read this verse is how God puts His words in our mouths (hearts, minds). If we will allow Him to do so. He also covers us with the shadow of His hand. That's one big shadow! What catches my heart is how it's so that He can plant the heavens and lay the foundations of the earth. As if He needs our help. Right? But what about world building? And using our stories to declare to others that they, too, are His. To influence them into a relationship with the Lord. Just. Wow.

4. Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Trust the Lord. Don't lean on your own understanding. Or compare yourself to others. Or get lost in "I'm not good enough" thoughts. Don't self-sabatoge your writing career. In all your writing ways, acknowledge the Lord. He is the Lord of your writing. And He shall direct your writing paths. You're welcome.

5. Proverbs 18:21a, James 3:10

Death and life are in the power of the tongue ... Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.

If there's one thing we've learned from the past election and the mess of that thing we shall not name here, it's that everyone has an opinion. Some are based in fact. Some are based on heresay. And some probably have no founding at all. And many don't consider the above verses when making theirs known. Others, when they respond.

I want my posts to bless people. Does that mean I cannot have my opinion? Not at all. What it does mean is that I am going to weigh my words considerably before I share them with the world. It's not a sin to point things out. It is a sin to curse another human being. These things ought not to be so. The Word says you will know someone by their fruit, what Spirit or spirit they honor in their heart. The second half of Proverbs 18:21(b) says, And those who love it will eat its fruit. What does your fruit taste like? Is it pleasant like a honeycomb? Or bitter like wormwood?

Oh, the power of our words. I want mine to bring life and health to the hearer (reader).

6. Proverbs 17:27-28

He who has knowledge spares his words,
And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.
Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace;
When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Sometimes, things are not ours to say. Sometimes, it's far better if we hold our peace. How does this apply to our writing? Many, many ways. It's wisdom to consider every word that we put on the screen or the page, regardless of the platform (i.e. books, articles, social media posts). Do we need to say it? Is it ours to say? Should we just hold our peace and move on? These are all great questions to ask ourselves as we set our hearts on writing.

Also, notice that he who has knowledge spares his words. We could definitely talk about writing with this one. Such as using too many descriptive words or our pet words or preaching from our soap box instead of deepening our characters enough to show what we want to say. Use your words sparingly. Pick the best ones. Delete the rest.

7. Proverbs 31:26

She opens her mouth with wisdom,
And on her tongue is the law of kindness.

This goes hand-in-hand with our previous verses. When we write or speak, our words should function under the law of kindness. It's okay to address the issues of the world and to apply biblical truth to them. The key is kindness. It's knowing how to exchange in conversation without being rude or obnoxious or purposefully pushing someone else's buttons. Open your mouth with wisdom and remember to be as gentle as a dove. Write the same way.

8. Genesis 2:1-3

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

God, our Father, in whose image and likeness we were all created, is creative. He is the Creator of all. And He took a day of rest after creating the heavens, earth, and all that were in it. Which means we need a day of rest too. Even from our creating.

I have had seasons where I've worked Sundays. I have had seasons where I have taken Sundays off from working and rested. All day. Granted, pastors tend to work Sundays. But most I know take Mondays off. They hold a Sabbath rest. Because it's God ordained that we do so.

I don't know about you, but my creative juices flow better if I take that day off and rest. It gives my brain the opportunity to unwind, and things become much clearer once they're untangled. Once my batteries are recharged, I have the mental energy to get back to it and get things done. If I don't, my brain turns to mush, and I can't put two words together for the life of me.

And then there are those seasons where God calls us to rest for lengths of time. Such as when we face illness or the loss of a loved one. Retirement. Significant life changes. Or he reroutes us to a different path for a season--and sometimes a lifetime.

The key is to rest in Him. To be still and know that He is the Lord. To find peace in those seasons of rest. So that when He calls us back to work, we're ready to create again.

These are a few verses that I have applied to my writing career, as well as some lessons God has taught me along the way. Have you got any to add to the list? Did any of these stand out to you? Let's talk! I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

Alycia Morales is a freelance editor and storyteller whose work has been featured in multiple magazines, compilation books, and through clients who’ve won multiple awards in a variety of national contests. Not only is she a sought-after ghostwriter with years of experience across a slew of categories, Alycia is the Conference Assistant for the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference.

A southern mama who understands the complexities of faith, loss, blended families, foster and adoptive relationships, and story, Alycia is passionate about walking beside women in their journeys.

She is currently working on two of her own novels, a YA and a romantic suspense.

When not writing, editing, or reading, Alycia enjoys spending time with her husband and their mostly-grown children taking hikes in the Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains. She also loves creating various crafts and watching crime shows, This Is Us, and American Idol.

You can find her online at alyciawmorales.com. She hangs out on Instagram at @AlyWMorales and @StoryInspirations.3.

Comments

Popular Posts