6 Reasons Your Voice Is Important as a Writer

Voice Writer
by Alycia W. Morales    @storyinspirations.3

As writers, it's so easy to get caught up in comparing ourselves to others. And in doing so, we diminish the importance of putting our voices out there in the midst of the rest.

What do we get caught up in? Have you ever thought or said any of these to yourself?

  • They've written longer than I have.
  • They have a better message than I do. They've honed it.
  • They've already written what I would.
  • There's nothing new under the sun, so why should I waste my time adding to it?
  • She's speaking too. I'm not speaking yet. I need to be speaking before I write.
  • His social media platform is stronger than mine, and they say I need to have numbers before they can publish my book.
  • I could never write like that.
  • There are already too many people writing about that. How could I ever get heard?

I am getting started as a mom blogger. It's an already saturated market, I'm sure. There are plenty of moms out there writing about their experiences as mothers and sharing their favorite products. So what sets me apart from them?

Simple: My Voice. 

6 Reasons Your Voice Is Important as a Writer

1. You have different experiences from others.

Granted, there are similarities between what I've been through and what you've been through at times, but that does not make them the same experiences. One of the reasons I started Life in the MotherShip is because I know that what has worked for me in my home with my family may not work for you in your home with your family. But someone else out there has something for you that will work. So by bringing together the experiences of multiple families (moms, in particular), there's a greater chance of finding something that will work for you on my site.

2. Your voice is as unique as you are.

God created us all in His image and His likeness. If you handed me four books, each written by one of my favorite authors, I could probably tell you who wrote which one. Jesus said that His sheep know His voice. There is voice recognition technology in the world today. Why? Because our voices are uniquely our own. By God's design. (John 10:3-5)

3. You have a testimony to share.

There is something that God has redeemed you from. Something that you've done or have had happen to you through no fault of your own that God has covered with the blood of Jesus, His Son. Your salvation story is something that can be shared with others so that they, too, may come to know the love of God. No one else can tell your testimony. (Revelation 12:10-11)

4. You've been healed of something.

Every one of us who has a testimony has been healed in some area or another. Whether a physical healing or a spiritual healing or an emotional healing, we've all been through something that has caused a change inside of us, evident to others or not. When we are healed, we enter into a place where God can use us and our words to bring healing to others. What have you been healed of that you can share from? What could you tell others that would help them face things in their lives and in their hearts that could lead them to healing? (Mark 5:18-20)

5. We shouldn't be the silent majority.

When the majority remains silent, the enemy wins. We're living in a time and age when Christian voices need to stand and be heard. God didn't put a light in you so you could put a basket over it and hide away in a corner somewhere. He gave you the Light of the World so that you could step out and dispel darkness. So you could SHINE. (Matthew 5:14-16)

6. God gave you a talent.

What are you going to do with it? Are you going to bury it and pray that when He returns, you can hand it back to Him and show Him how well you protected what was His? Or are you going to put it out there so that He can multiply it? (Matthew 25)

6 Reasons Your Voice Is Important as a Writer via @AlyciaMorales https://tinyurl.com/yxgylhn2 #amwriting #writer (Click to Tweet)

Don't let the voices in your head deter you from writing. You have something to say in a way no one else has said it. In a season when we have the opportunity to share our faith in the Lord with those who are searching for hope, don't be afraid to write. To speak. To use your voice.

Comments

Popular Posts