The Struggle Is Real

by Alycia W. Morales     @AlyciaMorales

I'm sitting here waiting for the water to boil so I can cook pasta and sauce for dinner. Sometimes, my writing career feels like a pot of water waiting to boil. Like it's taking forever to warm up so I can make something from it.

Have you ever felt that way?

Today isn't helping, either. For the second day in a row, my planner's outlined and detailed plans fell through the cracks of my day like broken pasta falls between the stove and the counter when it misses the pot. Forever lost.

See, I had plans. Good plans. Plans to write and plans to dream and plans to edit my client's work. I thought thoughts and was ready to put them into the Scrivener pages so they could magically, over time, transform into a book.

But after a day filled with dental appointments and fillings and sore teeth and a strained system after stressing in the dental chair all morning, followed by a day of another child's doctor appointment and spending three hours on the road in order to deliver a job site key to my husband, my planner sits without check marks noting the work I finished, because it. never. got. accomplished.

The struggle is real, my friends. {Click to Tweet}

Days come when life gets crazy - hectic - busy - beyond our control.

What's a writer to do? I have learned that just as I am imperfect, I have to learn to roll with life's imperfections.

I may not have gotten more than this blog post on the page. I may not have been able to edit my client's awaiting novel. And I may be frustrated and feel like finding a cabin in the woods to run off to so I can have focused time to get things done without interruptions.

But I did spend some quality time with the Lord - three full hours to think without being interrupted. I did get to focus my thoughts on my novel and discovered I need to develop my secondary characters so I know what roles they play in the plot. I did manage to finish reading Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth before the kids made it to school this morning.

And...

There's always tomorrow.

At least we hope there is.

As Proverbs says, don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today. But when life interrupts today, be still and know that He is still Lord of your day.

Comments

Popular Posts