Another Week in the Life of an Editor

by Alycia Morales

You may have noticed my post is two days past due. This is why I have titled my post "Another Week in the Life of an Editor." Does everything always happen on time? Life experience should hold your answer. No. Not always. Is this a problem? Often times, I would have to say the answer to that question is also no.

There are several factors that come into play here.

The first is God's timing. I don't use this as an excuse for being late. But there have been times when God has put obstacles in my path in order to either slow me down, help me avoid an accident or an error, or to get me to be still and recognize that He is still Lord over every part of my life, including my time. Have you ever noticed that God has been working in your favor when a project has been delayed? Maybe you've gotten your dream agent after a waiting period while everyone else around you got their second choice. Maybe you've discovered your book will release at just the right time and may sell well because your initial release date was pushed back a year. God's timing remains perfect.

Second is life. Yes, work is important. But is it the most important? Not in my book. First comes God. Then comes my family. Then comes work. And there are things that happen in life that we just can't control. Like when the stomach bug hits (3 weeks ago now) or a child comes home from a sleepover with head lice (2 weeks ago) that refuse to die (1 week ago, still treating and picking through hair) and a holiday weekend (translate: 3 days off) hits, like Labor Day. Then there's the fact that my husband is training for a new job, so our weekends are spent as a family doing family things, which means I'm not working on the weekends. Work is important, but God and family must always come first. You'll find life more enjoyable and abundant when it's balanced properly.

Releases September 22 - On Deadline
Third is deadlines. These force an editor to prioritize what is accomplished that week and what is set aside. Not because any author client is more important than another, but because one has a book coming out in two weeks that must be line edited while another has a first draft and no contract. Both stories are equally important, but each has a time and a season. One's time and season is immediate; the other is pending.

Fourth is perfection. Say what? Ask yourself. Would you rather submit an okay book or a book that finds its way out of the slush pile and into an editor's hands? It's better to delay your personal gratification of having a published manuscript and do your best work (with the help of your editor) than to submit or self-publish a manuscript that's "meh" and never see the sales you dreamed of. Give your "late" editor time, if necessary. Chances are, it'll pay off in the end. (PS - Most editors will let you know if it's going to take them longer than they originally thought. If they're good at what they do, it'll be worth the wait.)

Welcome to another week in the life of an editor. This is exactly what I've been dealing with in my editing and my personal life in the past month. I confess, I'm a little behind. But not so far behind I can't do my best work or catch up. The best thing for a writer to do when their editor is swamped? Be patient. Have understanding and consideration. And keep the lines of communication open with your editor. Remember, we're all human. And life happens.

TWEETABLE:
Is your editor falling behind schedule? Have mercy. A week in the life... @AlyciaMorales http://tinyurl.com/mv688p6      {Click to Tweet}
The Important Things in the Life of an Editor via @AlyciaMorales #thewriteediting http://tinyurl.com/mv688p6      {Click to Tweet}

Join me again on September 22 for another glimpse into the life of an editor. 

Do you have any additional thoughts on timing? We'd love to hear them in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Glad someone else's life hits speed bumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lill, it's nice to know we're not the only ones, right?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts