Your Writing Journey ... One Step at a Time

By  Andrea Merrell

I’m a creature of habit, especially in the morning—bathroom break, eye drops, vitamins, coffee, devotions, and time spent in prayer. That’s my routine. When it gets interrupted or changed, you could say there’s a disturbance in the force.

As a detail-oriented Melancholy temperament, it’s important to me to have my steps follow a certain order. When they don’t, my day usually ends up being out of kilter and unproductive. (Plus, I tend to forget what I’ve done or haven’t done.)

If you’re more flexible and spontaneous, you might be wondering what this has to do with our writing journey.

For writers—especially new writers—it’s important to understand how to follow your passion and destiny without missing any steps or getting one step in front of another.

As an example, when I first started writing, all I knew was to get my words on paper. I had never been to a conference, read a book on writing, or even spoken with another writer. I randomly submitted a few projects, which were immediately turned down. They were simply not ready for publication. I had a lot to learn.

 After several years, the Lord divinely connected me with Vonda Skelton, who totally understood where I was coming from. Her sage advice to me was, “You need to attend writers’ conferences, join a critique group, and network, network, network.”

That’s how my writing career began as I took one baby step after another.

If you’re just beginning your journey, let’s look at a few ways to keep your steps in order.

Read, Read, Read
A good writer is a voracious reader. Read books on the craft of writing by others who have learned the ins and outs of the industry. Read for pleasure. Read books in the genre that you feel called to write.

Write, Write, Write
Don’t just think about writing and talk about writing. Write. Write letters (yes, people still do that), thank you notes, blog posts, or an article for your church newsletter or local paper. Maybe you prefer to start with a devotion. Journaling is always a plus.

Join a Local Critique Group
A good, supportive critique group is worth its weight in gold. It’s like iron sharpening iron. You can learn, grow, and be encouraged by a like-minded group of people. If there’s not a group in your area, organize one. There are also online groups available.

Attend Conferences
Conferences are critical for the writer. That’s where we learn the craft, get encouraged, and expand our network. It’s also the place where you can have face-to-face interaction with agents, editors, and publishers. Depending on the location and length of the conference, the cost can be high. When I first started attending, my husband told me to think of it as continuing education. Put money aside, and make plans to attend at least one conference or local workshop per year.

Build Your Platform
Most people have a love/hate relationship with social media, but it’s another critical element for the writer. People need to find you. At a minimum, be active on Facebook and Twitter. Then add others (Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, etc.) as you feel comfortable. The time to build your platform is now. If you wait until you receive a book contract, you’ve waited too long.

Promote Others
In the Christian community, there’s room for all of us, and the Bible tells us to prefer others above ourselves. The best way we can do that is by promoting them. We can subscribe to their blogs, follow them on Facebook or Twitter, like and share their posts, and support them when they have a new book, blog post, or article. We can also invite them to be a guest on our blog and write a review for them on Amazon or Goodreads. I love Edie Melson’s five-to-one rule: for every five posts you share, only one can be about you. The other four are to promote others. It’s the principle of sowing and reaping: the more we pour into others, the more the Lord will pour back into our lives.

Pray, Pray, Pray
Pray over your projects and ask God to open the right doors at the right time. If the Lord has blessed you with the gift of words, He has a purpose for them.

What suggestions can you add to the list? We would love to hear from you.



(Photos courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net/marin/atibodyphoto/Stuart Miles.)


TWEETABLES

Comments

Popular Posts