Writer, Make 2018 Your Most Productive Year

By Linda Gilden

My favorite Christmas gift this year was a big whiteboard for my office. In some ways it feels old school but in others, it feels like a brand new start. I am going to keep up with my deadlines and writing goals better than ever.

Every year in January I vow this year will be more productive than the last. I will write on a better schedule. I will try a new genre. I will keep all my projects on a calendar and meet my word count for each one every day. I will get endorsements before I am done writing my book. I will query for at least five articles a month. I will do my best not to miss my quiet time each day. The list goes on and on. And, of course, the last one on the list every year—I will exercise more.

All these things are well-intended but rarely come to fruition. This year, I said to myself, is going to be different!

How can I possibly make so many changes in the way I work? How can I be more productive in 2018?

Don’t Overcommit
Why is it so hard to say no? Every year there are many writing opportunities. Figure out which ones best fit the purpose and mission of your writing and stick to them.

Make Use of all the Digital Assistance Available
This year I am going to learn more about how to make my devices work for me.

Keep a Visual Plan in Front of You
Here is where my new whiteboard comes in. I need to be able to see where I am and how each project fits into my schedule with the others. I can post deadlines and submission dates. And if I need to adjust a bit to make it all work, it is easily done.

Plan Times of Rest and Refreshment into Your Days
As a fairly busy writer, I have found if I don’t plan for “play” time, it doesn’t always happen. Schedule time with your family and children to make sure you are making plenty of memories. Unplanned interruptions as well lead to precious family times. Don’t overlook them as bonus opportunities with your family. You can finish your article later.

Whether you use a whiteboard, keep a written calendar, or schedule your goals digitally, won’t you join me in my efforts to make 2018 the most productive and organized writing year yet?

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles.)

TWEETABLE


Linda Gilden is an award-winning author, speaker, editor, ghostwriter, and writing coach. Author of twelve books and over a thousand magazine articles, Linda loves helping others discover the joy of writing. Her twelfth book, Articles, Articles, Articles will be released early this year. Linda lives in SC with family and loves every minute spent with her six grandchildren (great writing material). Visit www.lindagilden.com.

Comments

Popular Posts