Following the Call to Write

by Diana Sharples     @DianaSharples

There was a rush of inspiration and a thrill of hope when I first felt called to write for Jesus. I'd been writing my whole life, but suddenly I had a sense of "this is it!" After all, if God is with me, who can be against me. Right?

The problem is this feeling is born in the human heart. Yes, I felt a calling, and over the years since, the Lord has reminded me that I have been called. But like a newborn baby that needs time to learn to walk, the calling was just the beginning of my journey. I had a lot of work to do before I could see any rewards.

It was hard work and demanded a lot of time, dedication, and financial resources. I experienced the sting of harsh criticisms and the disappointment of vaguely worded rejections. I went through times when the market for my genre dried up and no one would even look at my work. I asked God what He was doing. If I was truly "called," why were all the doors closing? Even after getting published, I struggled with marketing - a job I was completely unprepared for. Over the years, I have doubted my calling, wondering if what I felt in that initial rush was my own desires, not God's will. During those times, the Lord always brought some comfort, some encouragement, some new inspiration.

But He never took away the hard work.

Recently, someone asked me what my idea of success was and suggested that I shouldn't be focusing on publication and marketing. Rather, I should be writing only for God, for my audience of One, for whatever He was trying to show me in the process. I've heard this mantra before, but not exactly used for sound Scriptural purposes. It's used to console the writer who is struggling, or even in a patronizing manner when a writer might not have developed the "chops" he or she needs for publication. It's also false consolation that suggests a writer doesn't need to struggle for excellence, but just the act of writing something is enough.

Think about this. Would we ever tell a person called to, say, dentistry that he shouldn't go to college or work toward a thriving practice because pulling teeth in his garage for Jesus is enough? Would we ever give this kind of advice to people in any other industry?

And who are we to say what plans God has for another person?

This doesn't mean that every person who feels compelled by God to put words on a page will be published or become a bestseller. It certainly doesn't mean the doors of opportunity will fly open and the world will embrace our Holy Spirit-inspired brilliance the moment we put it out there.

I believe that writing - or pulling teeth, or raising kids, or entering the ministry - for our audience of One means becoming a partner with Him on a journey toward excellence. Scripture often refers to a process of purification in somewhat violent terms: removing the dross from the silver, burning the chaff from the wheat, being thrown and molded on a potter's wheel. The journey God has put me on has involved years of "purification" that likely won't be fully accomplished this side of heaven ... and for that I am grateful. He has sustained me as I've struggled to become a better writer and when fluctuations in the industry made things look bleak. I'm not silver yet. There's still a lot of chaff. My pot is rather lopsided. But I've learned to love the journey, the whole process of becoming something more than I was a year ago, and much more than I was when I started. And if publication is what God has planned for me, then striving for it is my part of the deal. Until such time as He removes the desire from my heart and the ability to write from my soul, I am partnered with Him on a task He prepared for me, and not one step of the journey is wasted.


Diana Sharples holds a degree in art from the Atlanta College of Art, and has produced award-winning illustrations. As a writer, she has penned many novels, currently focusing on contemporary young adult fiction. Her debut novel, Running Lean, was published in 2013 by Zondervan/Blink, a division of Harper Collins. Two more novels are slated for 2018, the sequel to Running Lean, tentatively titled Running Strong, and the first novel in a new YA series with mystery elements, tentatively titled Finding Hero.

Diana is a wife and mom, a follower of Jesus Christ, and an avid motorcycle rider. To find out more about Diana, visit her website at http://www.dianasharples.com/.

Comments

Popular Posts