10 Unique Gifts for Writers


by Alycia W. Morales     @AlyciaMorales

As Christmas rapidly approaches and gift exchanges abound, what can you get the writer in your life? Tired of the status quo gifts of blank journals, coffee cups and Starbucks gift cards? Here are a few unique ideas.

1. Write the Story journal. This one isn't just a blank journal. It's one I just discovered at Barnes and Noble this morning. The story topic is at the top of the page, along with a list of words to be used in the story. I found it at my local Barnes and Noble on the Bargain Priced shelf for $9.98. Or you can buy it on amazon via Piccadilly.

2. A gift card to their favorite place to shop for clothes. We always hear about giving money to support their trip to a writers conference. What we don't consider is the dress code. Pre-conference is the time I always go clothes shopping. Sometimes it's because I've eaten too many holiday goodies over the winter and need a new size. Or I want something fresh in my wardrobe. Find out where your author loves to shop and get a gift certificate for there.

3. An iTunes card or amazon card. Writers typically have a soundtrack they put on when they sit down to create a story. Mine varies with what I'm writing. Having a fresh gift card allows the freedom to pick out a new soundtrack listen to as they write their first novel of the year.

4. Board Games. Not every writer enjoys a board game, but I would say quite a few do. Especially if they have children or grands. My family loves to come together to play, and after spending all day looking at a computer screen and interacting electronically, I'm ready for some face time with family. We love Clue, Dominion, Life, Monopoly Empire, Scattergories, Risk, and others. What do you like to play?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/163083012/industrial-jewelry-funky-earrings-silver?ref=market
Click the photo to link to Etsy.
5. Essential Oils. This may sound crazy, but I recently won a set of essential oils and a diffuser. There's nothing like plugging that in after a long day at a desk and relaxing to the warm scent filling the room while it also helps fight against the dryness of the winter season. I'd much rather have that than candles. Beware that some people have allergies to scents. But if not, this is a great gift.

6. A writing retreat. Maybe you're a husband who wants to bless his writerly wife or vice versa. Every writer loves being alone for a period of time, or they wouldn't have chosen writing books as a career path. What better treat than to send them off on a writing retreat? Maybe you know someone with a time share that would be willing to donate a week to your spouse. Or you know of a cabin tucked away in the woods or a cottage at the beach.

7. A subscription to Artful Blogging. This blogging magazine is perfect for the blogger in your life who loves photography as well. Produced quarterly, it's $14.99 on the shelf. A subscription would be a wonderful gift.

8. An annual gym membership. Let's face it, writer spend the majority of their time on their butt. In a chair. In front of a screen. We really need exercise on a regular basis if we don't want to gain 100 pounds. What better way to get your writer out the door and active than giving them an annual membership to the local gym?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/466763526/vintage-pink-mauve-royal-quiet-de-luxe?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Gifts%20for%20Writers&ref=sr_gallery_2
Click the photo to link to Etsy.
9. A standing desk. Ranging from $100 or so up, these desks keep us on our feet and off our backsides. They promote healthy posture and help burn calories that wouldn't be burning if we were sitting still. Personally, I would love one of these. And my own office space in the house. Like a room. By myself. With all my books.

10. Shop Etsy for hundreds of unique gifts for writers. I love Etsy. There are gift ideas in abundance, and they're all handmade or vintage. These Sherlock pencils are a hoot. I, for one, would love a vintage typewriter. I also know a writer who collects them.

11. BONUS: What does your writer collect? Find a piece of their collection they don't already own and go with that. Perfection!

What would you wish for if you could ask for anything a writer would love? Be sure to leave a comment. We'd love to hear from you!

Tweetables:

10 Unique Gifts for Writers {Click to Tweet}

What would your writer ask for this Christmas? 10 Giftable Ideas via @AlyciaMorales {Click to Tweet}

Comments

  1. Great list. Like you, I would love to have my own room for writing and editing. I had that luxury before we downsized a few years ago. I still miss my home office.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts